Where to place the blame for the Pitt collapse at UNC? Another unbelievable loss to North Carolina and to this program. The Pitt offense is not closing out games in the fourth quarter.
Pitt Game Notes- GAME STORYLINES
• Pitt completes the non-conference portion of its schedule when it hosts Marshall of Conference USA. The Panthers return to Heinz Field following a pair of tough road defeats (at North Carolina and Oklahoma State) that both came down to the final minute.
• The Panthers’ two losses were by a combined eight points. At North Carolina last week, Pitt led the entire game before being upended by a touchdown pass with two seconds left.
• Despite being a mere four hours apart, Pitt and Marshall have never previously met on the football field. This will be the Panthers’ first encounter with a Conference USA team since a 42-25 victory over FIU in 2014.
• Under Coach Doc Holliday, the Thundering Herd has averaged 11 victories a year over the past three seasons. Marshall fashioned a 23-4 record over the 2014-15 seasons, the best mark among teams from the “Group of Five” conferences during that span.
• Pitt defensive end Ejuan Price is producing at an All-America rate in the opening month of the season. The senior ranks second in the nation in quarterback sacks (1.38 per game), tackles for loss (2.4 per game) and forced fumbles (0.75 per game). Price paces the ACC in each of those categories and should be considered an early frontrunner for the league’s Defensive Player of the Year honor.
• The Panthers boast one of college football’s most dangerous all-purpose players in Quadree Henderson. The sophomore wide receiver leads the nation in total all-purpose yards with 825. Henderson’s average of 206.3 yards per game leads the ACC and ranks third nationally.
• Pitt ranks third in the nation and leads the ACC in rushing defense, surrendering just 61.3 yards per game. On the other side of the ball, the Panthers are averaging 249.5 yards on the ground to rank 14th nationally and third in the ACC in rushing offense.
This is the first meeting between Pitt and Marshall…the Panthers are 7-3 against current members of Conference USA…Pitt last played a C-USA member in 2014, defeating FIU on the road, 42-25…Marshall coach Doc Holliday is very familiar with the Panthers, dating back to his days as a player and assistant coach at West Virginia…Holliday spent 23 seasons as an assistant with the Mountaineers (1979-99 and 2008-09) and had a 12-9-2 record against Pitt during that span…he also faced the Panthers as an NC State assistant in the 2001 Tangerine Bowl, a game won by Pitt, 34-19…as a West Virginia player from 1975-78, he was 1-3 in the “Backyard Brawl” with the Panthers.
SERIES IN BRIEF
Series Began: 2016
Series Overall: 0-0
At Pittsburgh: 0-0
At Marshall: 0-0
Last Meeting: 2016 is first meeting
Television • ESPN
Bob Rathbun, play-by-play
Takeo Spikes, analyst
Rebecca Kaple, reporter